Re: GSoC applications

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC applications
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 22:26:05 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Giampaolo,
>

> Am 09.01.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Giampaolo Orrigo:
>> I definitely have an idea, although I don’t have the necessary
>> programming knowledge to mentor, although I have the scholarly
>> knowledge.
>> I think the community would greatly benefit if LilyPond had full
>> support for both white and black mensural notation.
>
> That sounds like a great idea.
>
>> There was an effort done some time ago but it was abandoned and the
>> original author seems unreachable.
>
> Indeed, such things happen (you are talking about Lukas, right?). Also
> the initial developer of the lilyJAZZ font has mysteriously become
> invisible over time ...

Yes and no.  He decided to revert to monetizing his font creation
efforts.  While I cannot blame him, the intersection of the sets of
successful marketers and successful programmers is rather small.  As a
result, most attempts to go proprietary on single-person efforts fail in
the monetary regard and have not even a generally available advance of
the arts to show as a result.  More often than not, the people
attempting to monetize an effort were already spending all the time they
could on that effort, and making the leap to _drop_ other sources of
income in order to be able to afford investing more time, and more
importantly, more creative energy, does rarely work out.

I don't think that we'll see that kind of approach succeed until
government steps in for more than defining ridiculous ranges of
copyright.  Copyright associations are usually _way_ beyond sanity in
their conditions for both consumer and creator.

--
David Kastrup