Re: How do I apply patch files to my LilyPond binary on Windows?

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: How do I apply patch files to my LilyPond binary on Windows?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 08:29:55 -0600

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:40 AM, Robert Murdoch <address@hidden> wrote:

Now I'm wondering if I can apply the patch at
https://codereview.appspot.com/332990043 to my Windows binary file.

The patch is for .cc and .hh files, which to me says "C++ source code." I think it would take a god-like understanding of compilers and EXE files to "patch" a binary based on those. The expectation for binaries is replacement, not modification.

To get that patch before another release comes out, expect to follow the Contributor Guide for building LilyPond from source.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/quick-start

Those instructions are all presuming usage of LilyDev Linux in VirtualBox. I gather you are working in Windows, and probably want to stay there. But unless you are comfortable with getting all the Linux-origin build tools and dependencies playing nice together on Windows, that LilyDev is the way to go.

The Contributor Guide also has instructions for producing a Windows EXE setup file, so it probably would be possible to get what you want from that. But if I was trying it, there is an excellent chance that another release would be out before I got it all working. :)

http://lilypond.org/gub/
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/notes-on-builds-with-gub
--
Karlin High