Re: NullVoice lyrics alignment error

From: Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Subject: Re: NullVoice lyrics alignment error
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 16:48:38 -0400

> Say I'm setting a typical Anglican (Episcopal) hymn in four parts on
> two staves with the words in between them. The voice parts will have
> passing notes etc. at different times, each of which necessitates a
> left-alignment of that syllable and an appropriate lyric extender.
>
> Before NullVoice came along, the lyrics would be full of \vs \va \vt
> and \vb (shorthand for \set associatedVoice = "vsoprano" etc) and there
> would be a separate context for the lyric position in the system
> (because the lower parts' notes appear after the lyrics).
>
> Now all I do is duplicate the most moving part as a NullVoice, then
> subdivide its non-moving notes to correspond with any part(s) moving
> at that point. Setting the lyrics to the NullVoice now does everything
> automatically, with the odd exception. (For example, the moving part
> might have a note displaced by the neighbouring voice being only a
> (semi-)tone away.)

>> For example, I'm pretty sure the \hideNotes technique won't work for
>> adding lyrics to a \partcombine part which I use extensively.

> I've hardly used \partcombine
> I loathe doing
> I've read here that certain things are fragile.

Yes, partcombine can be quite the hassle.

But I'm sure things will get better over time.

>> So am-I correct to assume the notes are still there?

> I'm just rationalising from what I've observed, but it would appear
> that \hideNotes is the one that just blanks the stencils, so the notes
> are still there, the lyrics have to lie under them, and so the measure
> gets expanded appropriately.

Yes, I understand.

>> I suppose that the lyrics has no "timed" stuff to align to.

> My observations (again without knowing what the code actually does)
> suggest that because no X-space is required to set anything¹, the
> positions of the timing "anchors" produced by NullVoice have a
> zero-point near to the beginning of the line. If you set (and then
> hide) something, a rest or a note, then a collision with the clef
> and signatures has to be avoided, so the zero-point of time gets
> pushed rightwards to a position after them.

So if I understood correctly, we could infer that it is aligned with
the basis of all alignment which is (is it?) the start of the line but
with *no* offset as LilyPond hasn't added any.

--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier