Re: Fretboard diagram for custom tuned lute

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fretboard diagram for custom tuned lute
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:50:03 +0200

Scaramoucherz <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to create fretboard diagrams for a lute with custom tunings, so
> that I can visualize chords played on the lute. I followed the suggestions
> in the manual.

Which manual?

> I copied the example from the cuatro (Section 2.4.1, selected
> snippets). However, I get error messages when I compile it:
>

> /Users/X/Documents/Scores/Lilypond/Lute/Lute-staff-tab-and-chords
> 2.ly:26:19: error: syntax error, unexpected ','
>
>                   ,(ly:make­pitch 1 3 SHARP)

That makes it likely that you didn't "copy" the example but rather typed
it off and "corrected" the odd-looking ` quote character into one
looking like ' instead.  Scheme _does_ make a difference and you are
usually better off doing a copy&paste operation when in doubt.

> /Users/X/Documents/Scores/Lilypond/Lute/Lute-staff-tab-and-chords
> 2.ly:34:26: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
> \storePredefinedDiagram #
>                          default­fret­table \dSix
> /Users/X/Documents/Scores/Lilypond/Lute/Lute-staff-tab-and-chords
> 2.ly:34:25: error: wrong type for argument 1.  Expecting hash table, found
> #<unspecified>
> \storePredefinedDiagram
>                         #default­fret­table \dSix
> /Users/X/Documents/Scores/Lilypond/Lute/Lute-staff-tab-and-chords
> 2.ly:35:26: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
>                         #
>                          cuatroTuning
> /Users/X/Documents/Scores/Lilypond/Lute/Lute-staff-tab-and-chords
> 2.ly:35:25: error: wrong type for argument 3.  Expecting pair, found
> #<unspecified>
>
> I don't understand why the example gave this message. Are there any other
> examples that I can follow, or can someone suggest how I create these custom
> diagrams>

Next time, please

a) show what you are actually doing
b) tell which version of the manual you are using
c) tell which version of LilyPond you are using

Most of the errors of the "example from manual does not work" kind are
actually a mismatch between the version the manual was written for and
the version of software actually being used, typically because of
looking up the manual on the Internet rather than on your own computer.

But in this particular case, I consider a bad quote character more
likely.

--
David Kastrup