Re: Gotlandstoner

From: Erik Ronström
Subject: Re: Gotlandstoner
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 13:08:44 +0200

> If I apply the attached patch to a cloned git archive I get the following
> results with ghostscript 9.06:
>
> bok2: Original size 9.996.691 bytes, optimized size 2.043.380 bytes
> bok3: Original size 13.706.324 bytes, optimized size 2.447.232 bytes
>
> Unfortunately I found that a current git master of ghostscript does not work
> as intended. I have to bisect and investigate that problem.

Lovely! Thanks again!

>>> A lot of pages contain a lot of white space. It would be possible to
>>> include every staff as a paragraph instead of including the whole pdfs ….
>>>
>> Yeah, but that is intentional. I didn’t want tunes split over page breaks
>> (except the tunes that are too long to fit in one page). Actually that was
>> the main reason for not using lilypond-book: I wanted more fine-grained
>> control over vertical spacing, and I found that much easier to achieve when
>> lilypond takes care of the whole typesetting process.
>
> I did not write about using lilypond-book, I never use it and prefer
> pdf(la)tex/xe(la)tex/lua(la)tex for similar reasons.

I know, I just meant that I find it easier to tweak vertical spacing in
lilypond than working with individual staff systems (be it lilypond-book, latex
or whatever).

> I agree that there are valid reasons not to split over page breaks if a page
> turn would be the result. But why do you have objections against  a score
> starting on an even page and continuing on an uneven page?

Actually, I started out that way. But it turned out that the reduction in
number of pages was not very big in the end (just over 20%), so I went for the
tradeoff of paying a few more pages for getting as many tunes as possible fit
into a single page. Of course that’s mainly an aesthetic decision (and I do
find it slightly easier when sightreading) but another benefit is that if you
want to print a single tune from the pdf file, you generally only have to print
one page.

> A possible extension of your work: You might generate score videos (example)
> and add links to those videos in your books ….

Nice!

Erik