Re: vertical spacer in figured bass

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: vertical spacer in figured bass
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 14:31:36 +0200

Hi Richard,

when I tried that implicitBassFigures declaration, it just printed a zero. But! If I drop the "Staff." part of that declaration, then it works. I'm not sure if that's going to have consequences later on, but I'll try it and see how it goes.

Now I have another matter, somewhat more OCD: when dealing with the figures:

< 4 2 7 >4 < _+ 0\! 8 >

the # sign is set slightly lower than the 4, and thus the 8 is set lower than the 7. That is, they don't appear to have the same baseline, and it looks like bad typesetting. Is there a way to fix this so they align perfectly?

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2017-06-23 at 13:06 +0200, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
> Richard, if I can dissect the Denomo code a bit (there's a lot of it!
> ), it looks like I need both the

> \context Staff \with {implicitBassFigures = #'(0) }
> _expression_ in the \score block, and the
> \set Staff.implicitBassFigures = #'(0)
> _expression_ in the music content. Is that correct?

I noticed that too, and assumed one of them was most probably redundant
- I did write this syntax, but I'm afraid I can't say how I arrived at
it, some sort of trial and error almost certainly.

> doing just the latter didn't work, but now I'm unsure how to proceed.

Is it doing what you wanted? I cooked up the example from the
documentation that Mark quoted, because I knew about this trick of
declaring a special figure (I use 0 since that doesn't occur for real in
a figured bass) that just acts as a place holder. So then I used that
and the \! notation for stopping the extender and it worked (for what I
thought was your object).
I entered this

<3 0\! 7>4

with the idea that the figure 0 would keep that position open as a blank
figure while not causing an extender from it.

I think the repeated \bassFigureExtendersOff and On would be done in
some neater way if you were hand-writing the code ...

HTH

Richard