Re: Center-align a score

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Center-align a score
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 10:39:23 -0500

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Hendrik,
>
>> David N's solution works pretty well, although I, too, am having trouble
>> with vertical positioning. In my attached min example, the lyrics came out
>> wrong.
>
> That *is* a curious result…
>
> Naively, I would assume this is part of the same vertical spacing issue that
> plagues me with regard to maintaining a predictable space below the last
> lyric of a vocal group (because non-staff contexts aren’t considered, cf.
> docs: “The distance between the last staff of the current staff-group and the
> staff just below it in the same system, even if one or more non-staff lines
> (such as Lyrics) exist between the two staves.”)
>
> I’ll be interested to see the diagnosis and fix.
> Sorry I couldn’t offer it myself: this is definitely above my pay-grade!

I would imagine the problem is the same one that I mentioned above in
the thread.  Calling ly:grob-extent to determine the printed width of
the staff causes side-effects.  I'm sorry, but I don't know of any way
to determine the staff width without running into this problem.

It would be relatively easy to alter the function make-page-stencil in
scm/page.scm to do what you want.  The stencils of the individual
systems are already made at this point, and it's just a matter of
moving them around to your liking.  Unfortunately, this requires a
change to program files.  I've had no luck copy/pasting code from that
file into the LY file.  It will be a lot--if it can even be
done--because so much of it is non-public.

Did you get a good result with the markup-based solutions?

Best,
David N