Re: Problem with bar numbers

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Problem with bar numbers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:07:19 +0100

Am 14.03.2017 um 11:35 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Maybe you should use a newer (“unstable”/development version); 2.19.xx
>> allows \partial after the start of a piece and handles bar numbers
>> correctly. The development versions aren’t unstable in the sense that
>> they will crash or damage your input files or something similarly bad
>> but only that there is a new version every two (?) weeks; of course
>> you don’t have to always use the very latest version but only upgrade
>> if you want to use new features.
>
> Uh, development versions most certainly _can_ crash and we had several
> ones that did under fairly normal circumstances.  Using development
> versions you should be prepared to upgrade with some regularity.

Well, they *can*, my generalization wasn’t totally correct. But I think
it’s mostly safe to use them if you want these new features; I’ve used
several 2.19.xx versions in the past three years and had only two
crashes which also occured in 2.18 when I lacked RAM for the page
breaking of huge scores ;)

So yes, sometimes you might have to upgrade but for most use cases it
won’t be necessary to upgrade very often.