Problem with bar numbers

From: Don Gingrich
Subject: Problem with bar numbers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:11:31 +1100

OK, I'll start by saying that I'm doing some things that
are wrong as far as musical purists are concerned,
but there *is* a reason.

I'm typesetting scores for folk dance music sets.
Typically, (but not exclusively) music for folk dance
consists of an 8 bar 'A' part and an 8 bar 'B' part.

It is often written with an anacrusis at the start of
both the A and B parts. And the A part ends with
a bar with the value of time - (A anacrusis)
The B part may also start with its own anacrusis.
The two anacrusii will almost always have the same
duration and the final bar will be similar in duration
to the A part ending.

The reason that it gets written this way is that
dances require varying numbers of bars of music.
But always a multiple of the A/B part which is
commonly 8 bars. To make things easier for the
dancers, the tune may be played with different
numbers of repetitions of the A and B parts.
A good band will endeavour to finish a dance section
at the end of the B part so that the new couple
always begin on the first time through the A part
of either the current tune or a new one.

This also explains the AABBx2 markup

So it breaks the rules of music theory, but there is
a reason.

I've translated XML files and they generally end up
with sN*M to fill out the anacrusis and terminal
bars. It works but it's ugly since it adds horizontal
space  that is unwanted. So I've been using
\partial and copping the warnings since it looks
better. (It's just the "programmer" in me that doesn't
like code that "compiles" with warnings.)

What would be nice is either an allowed alternative
partial or a variant of the s code that says
"ignore this many beats" .

The other problem is that the bar numbers get
screwed up with these anacrusii that aren't supposed
to be there.

If it were up to me, I'd re-number at the start of each tune,
but I'm working to someone else's preferred appearance
which he achieves with Finale. I'm getting close but
the bar numbers are defeating me. I tried getting
a number on every bar. and thought that I had the
correct command in:

 \set Score.barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)

But I still only get numbers at the left side of the staff.

I thought about a bunch of big rests, but then there wouldn't
have been as many bars. Sorry it's such a big example. It's
actually 6 tunes across 2 pages with a D.S al Fine at the
finish of the sixth one.

I will add that I find that I can enter a score much faster and
with fewer errors using the Frescobaldi interface as compared
to MuseScore. So, I'd like to thank all those involved in both
projects.

Thanks,

-Don
--
Don Gingrich

-----------------------------------------------------begin----------------------------
\version "2.18.2"

\header {
  title = "Waves of Tory"
  subtitle = "7 x 32 bars" % for space before first tune title
  tagline = "engraved 10 Mar 2017 -- DEG"
}
\paper {
  paper-width = 21.0\cm
  paper-height = 29.7\cm
  top-margin = 1.0\cm
  bottom-margin = 1.\cm
  left-margin = 1.0\cm
  right-margin = 1.0\cm
  indent = 0.0\mm
}

PartOne = \relative c' {
   \key d \major
   \time 2/4
  \repeat volta 2 {
    \mark \markup {\rounded-box {\large \bold A } }
  fis8 a a  b16 cis       |
  d8 d  d e16 fis        |
  g fis e8 fis16 e d8     |
  b8 a a16 b a g          | \break
  fis8 a a b16 cis        |
  d8 d d e16 fis          |
  g fis e8 fis16 e d8     |
  }
  \alternative{
    {
       b8 a a a
    }
    {
      b8 a a

  \break
  \mark \markup {\rounded-box {\large \bold B } }
  \repeat volta 2 {
    \partial8  e'8       |
    fis8 a a fis         |
    e d d8. e16           |
    fis8 a a fis         |
    e d e8. fis16         |\break
    fis8 a a fis         |
    e d d e16 fis         |
    g fis e8 fis16[ e d8 ]  |
    \partial 8*3
    b8 a a           |

PartOneChords =  \chordmode {
}

PartTwo =  \relative c'' {
  \key d \major
  \time 2/4
  \mark \markup {\rounded-box {\large \bold A } }

  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.space-alist =
    #'((first-note . (fixed-space . 2.0))
       (right-edge . (extra-space . 0.5))
       ;; free up some space between time signature
       ;; and repeat bar line
       (staff-bar . (extra-space . 1)))
  \bar ".|:"
 \repeat volta 2 {
   \set Score.currentBarNumber = #17
   \partial 16*3
   s16 \mark \markup { \small \musicglyph #"scripts.segno"} b16  cis

   d8 a fis a            |
   d d d fis             |
   e d cis d             |
   e fis g fis16 g       |\break
   a8 fis g e            |
   d cis a fis           |
   g b a16 b a g         |
   fis8 d d8
   }

 \break
 \mark \markup {\rounded-box {\large \bold B } }
 \repeat volta 2 {
   \partial 8
   a'8                        |
   fis'8. fis16 fis8 fis      |
   r8 g8 g4                   |
   fis8. fis16 fis8 a         |
   g fis e fis16 g            |\break
   \set Score.currentBarNumber = #29
   a8 fis g e                 |
   d cis a fis                |
   g b a16[ b a g]              |
 }
 \alternative{
   {
     \partial 8*3
     fis8[ d] d8                  |
   }
   {
     fis8 d d4 ^\markup { \huge{ \italic  "Fine"  }}\bar "||"

PartTwoChords =  \chordmode {

}

\markup{
  \fill-line {
     \line { " " }
    \center-column { \huge \bold "Spanish Ladies"} % Title
    \line {\rounded-box \pad-markup #1   {\large \bold "AABB x 2" }} %
instructions

% The score definition
\score {
  <<
    \set Score.barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)
    \context ChordNames = "Chords" \PartOneChords
    \new Staff <<
      \context Staff <<
        \context Voice = "Part" { \PartOne }

  \layout {}
  \midi {}
}

\markup{
  \fill-line {
    \line { " " }
    \center-column { \huge \bold "Grand Old Dame Britannia"} % Title
    \line {\rounded-box \pad-markup #1   {\large \bold "AABB x 2" }} %
instructions
% The score definition
\score {
  <<

    \set Score.barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)
    \context ChordNames = "Chords" \PartTwoChords
    \new Staff <<
      \context Staff <<

        \context Voice = "Tune" { \PartTwo }

  \layout {}