Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:50:54 +0100

Colin Campbell <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2016-11-17 03:47 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
>>
>> Here’s the point where I instantly feel compelled to say “ok, now
>> let’s really ban him from the list”. You are calling Kieren,
>> honorable member of the community and one of the most proficient
>> LilyPond users there are, an outright liar. That’s
>> outrageous. Begone.
>>

> In the early days of Usenet, we would reach a point where we Do Not
> Feed The Troll. It seems clear to me that the person posting as
> mclaren is unlikely to be part of a constructive and civilised
> discussion, given the tone of the posts I've seen, so I've added a
> filter to my email which simply deletes mclaren posts unread.
>
> It may be useful to document LilyPond's problems with irrational
> numbers, probably as a Known Issue in NR 1.2.3, but, while irrational
> time signatures and tuplets may well be interesting, I doubt that
> mclaren's insistence is shared, and certainly not to the point of
> being an obsession.

Reports documenting a few of the thresholds where LilyPond drops out
might make sense in the issue tracker.  That way, incremental
improvements in its behavior (namely making it as good as its 64bit
numbers can do rather than already closing down in some situations
exceeding 32bit numbers) can be done and tracked even while the complete
"make this problem go away a much much larger distance" project is not
done.

--
David Kastrup