Re: Write a custom backend?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Write a custom backend?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:40:18 +0200

Knut Petersen <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 14.09.2016 um 12:19 schrieb David Kastrup:
>>
>> Of course it is not "necessary to rewrite the code in Scheme first"
>> before making changes to it.  But for one thing, not a lot will happen
>> without it, for another, without some generally useful output definition
>> possibilities, backends like Braille, MusicXML, and others will require
>> individual programming and end up, if at all, individually maintained.
>>
>> That's why I said "great project".  Not "prerequisite".
>>
> Thanks, I understand that point now.
>
> Currently we have \layout{} and \midi{}. What backends would be fine
> to have?  You mentioned \braille{} and \musicxml{}, I'd like to add
> \audio{} and \video{} to the list.

The latter seem to be dealt with sufficiently by working with Midi and
external tool chains: after all, the main point of LilyPond is turning a
music description to an equivalent output.  Though _if_ outputs can
reasonably easy be defined in Scheme, being able to control most of the
external tool chain from inside a LilyPond file in a manner synchronized
to the music might make for a nicer interface.

--
David Kastrup