changing staff-size throughout a score

From: Urs Liska
Subject: changing staff-size throughout a score
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 00:40:06 +0200

Hi all,

is it possible to change the size of the StaffSymbol along the way
through a score? My impression is that

    \override Score.StaffSymbol.staff-space

has an effect only when applied in a \with block or at the very first
start of a Staff.

However, I don't see a reason for that behaviour. Can't the size of each
system through a score be different?

The use case for this request is the common practice to engrave
individual pages of a score at smaller staff size when it is too crowded.

If that's not possible with current LilyPond tools, is it conceivable to
implement it newly? I imagine a behaviour that is analogous to other
overrides: affect the next instance of the grob.

(like

    c8 [ d \override Beam.color = #red e f ]

will affect the *next* beam).

So

    \override Staff.StaffSymbol.staff-space

could take effect starting with the next starting system.

I'd be happy about any working solution or an estimate how complicated
this would be to add to LilyPond. I'm sure this would be a very useful
addition.

Best
Urs