Re: Horizontal positioning of rests

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Horizontal positioning of rests
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 22:57:47 +0200

On 01.09.2016 22:49, Karen Billings wrote:
Sorry to bother you with a beginner's problem... I have been using Lilypond for about a year now, and all that time I have had problems with rest positioning. I've been dealing with it, but it's becoming more of a problem now that trying to read multi-line scores...

The documentation states that rests are, by default, always centered horizontally. For some reason, mine always end up left-justified. What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it?

Short answer: use R instead of r.
Long answer: in LilyPond, there are two different grobs for rests, Rest and MultiMeasureRest. The former is typeset once and aligned with the timestep where it begins, the latter is typeset centered once in every bar it spans. E.g.
{ \time 2/4 R2*5 }
contains only one multi-measure rest with a duration of five 2/4 measures which is printed five times. Thus it is possible to compress them:
{ \compressFullBarRests R1*7 }
will print the MMR only once.
(In recent development versions, this command has been renamed to \compressMMRests.)

HTH, Simon