Re: Lyrics.LyricText.font-size in layout block

From: Colin Tennyson
Subject: Re: Lyrics.LyricText.font-size in layout block
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:20:04 -0700 (MST)

Hello tisimst, hello Noeck,

thank you for your replies.

You have explained to me why a very small number, -0.2, has such a noticable
effect.
I infer that Lilypond _replaces_ the step value for the LyricText font-size
with the entered step number (rather than performing an addition.)

So when I entered -0.2 the actual change was from 1.0 to -0.2, which is of
course a noticable change.

For completeness (and because David Kastrup insisted a minimal example
should always be provided) I created a minimal example
I took a measure of Choir from the snippet repository, and I added a paper
block with one line in it, and a layout block with one line in it

Steps to repeat:
Try it with various values for the override: -1, 0, 1

\language "english"

global = {
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
  \dynamicUp
}
sopranonotes = \relative c'' {
  c2 d c d
}
sopranowords = \lyricmode { do do do do }
altonotes = \relative c'' {
  c2 d c d
}
altowords = \lyricmode { re re re re }
tenornotes = {
  \clef "G_8"
  c2 d c d
}
tenorwords = \lyricmode { mi mi mi mi }
bassnotes = {
  \clef bass
  c2 d c d
}
basswords = \lyricmode { mi mi mi mi }

\paper {
  #(layout-set-staff-size 22)
}

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "soprano" <<
        \global
        \sopranonotes

      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" \sopranowords

    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "alto" <<
        \global
        \altonotes

      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "alto" \altowords

    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "tenor" <<
        \global
        \tenornotes

      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "tenor" \tenorwords

    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "bass" <<
        \global
        \bassnotes

      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "bass" \basswords

  \layout { \override Lyrics.LyricText.font-size = #-1 }