Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:34:53 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I need to add some supplemental white space between piano staff lines (to
> avoid a crowded look and near clashes).
>
> I looked long and hard at TFM _and_ whatever snippets I could find, but
> unfortunately I am still none the wiser :|
>
> The only thing that I found (and made sense to me) was the global page
> settings, but I don't want to change the global parameters, only to fine
> tune and add some vertical space between selected piano staff rows.
>
> I found some examples that may have what I want but when I tried them on my
> score didn't make any difference. I guess I misunderstand the whole stuff.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards.
> --
>
> Nihil verus. Omnia possibilia.

Hi,

as others said already, I'd first try to use the fixed and flexible
vertical spacing \paper variables from
NR 4.1 Page layout as well as the flexible vertical spacing within
systems mechanisms from NR 4.4 Vertical spacing.

If you want some more fine tuning (and this seems to be your request)
look into the next chapter
NR 4.4.2 Explicit staff and system positioning
It's all manual ofcourse and has to be applied at line-begin, i.e.
best after a manual \break but then it works pretty nicely.

\version "2.18.2"

#(set-global-staff-size 11)

\paper { annotate-spacing = ##t }
#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines #t)

\relative c''
\new PianoStaff <<
    \new Voice {
      \repeat unfold  4 { c1 \break }
      \overrideProperty
        Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
        #'((alignment-distances . (30)))
      \repeat unfold  4 { c1 \break }
    }
    \new Voice {