Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines

From: DJF
Subject: Re: Custom / Fine tuning vertical space between piano staff lines
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:21:39 -0400

On Jun 21, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Harald Christiansen <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, I eventually ended up solving the problem by using \markup with a
> two rows of blank strings attached to the E6, something like:
> e^\markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 5) \column { " " " " } } i.e.
> adding an empty box with the desired high and depth above the note (it
> also have width but I can live with that).

That’s an interesting, creative solution that I wouldn’t have thought of
trying, but it seems to have a side effect of making the next system much too
close.

If, instead, you use something like this as your \paper block, you should get
the same result, but with better spacing surrounding the system:

\paper {
  top-margin = 8\mm
  bottom-margin = 9\mm
  top-system-spacing.basic-distance = #12
  system-system-spacing =
  #'((basic-distance . 15.5)
       (minimum-distance . 13)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 17))
%  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}

Another option would be to adjust the staff-height from 20 to 21. It solves the
issue quite nicely, IMHO, but I’m not sure of your priorities.

I realize that these solutions don’t really speak to your quest of finding a
“proper, general solution,” but at least there are ways to get fairly
acceptable results, and without too much effort. Different scores may well
require different solutions. If it looks good in the end, isn’t that enough?

Good luck, and if you find something else that works, I hope you’ll let us know.

—
Dan