Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 17:57:08 +0200

> On 26 May 2016, at 17:40, Jacques Menu Muzhic <address@hidden> wrote:

> My bassoon teacher told me the same, and in particular that D major is the
> brightest key on our instrument (440). So I asked whether it’s E flat major
> on the baroque instrument (415).
>
> And the answer is no, it’s D major too, because that phenomenon is relative
> to the instrument size, not absolute.

The instruments have certain resonances, and the bassoon, though largely
harmonic like the other orchestral instruments, has an inharmonicity in the
midrange, which gives character, makes it stand out and hard to cover, but also
less suitable for harmony. If there are strings present, then one cannot merely
transpose, because they end up playing in a more distant key where one cannot
rely on open strings which are tuned in Pythagorean.