Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 08:57:31 +0100

> On 26 May 2016, at 08:02, N. Andrew Walsh <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> Off topic, I know, but how do those gifted with perfect pitch cope with all
> this?
>
> Michael
>
> You ready for some polemic?
>
> "Perfect pitch" is a sham. It's a fraud perpetuated by people who think that
> some of us are simply born musical geniuses, with an innate ability to sense
> the inner nature of music directly, and from whom creative and musical
> expressiveness naturally and effortlessly flows. I've sat in on seminars for
> composition, ear-training, musicology, music history, you name it; if one of
> the composers said he had perfect pitch, everybody's eyes lit up, and his
> scores are immediately taken more seriously.
>
> What it really means is this: you have internalized the 12-note equal
> tempered scale -- usually through extensive piano lessons from an early age
> -- to such a point that your auditory memory is deeply enough ingrained that
> you can associate heard pitches with their usual note names. That's it. I've
> also sat in on ear-training seminars where the played music was to be written
> down transposed: the kids with perfect pitch floundered, because they
> couldn't actually hear the intervals, and (for them) the note names were all
> wrong. Likewise, play them examples in other tuning systems -- just
> intonation, but also meantone, pythagorean, or similar -- and likewise, they
> couldn't actually identify any of the notes. To them, it was all just "out of
> tune."
>
> I *despise* the idea of perfect pitch, because to me it's a sort of musical
> parlor trick that a distressingly high number of musicians have conflated
> with some sort of in-born propensity for musical talent, and creative
> music-making suffers greatly for it.
>
> But my opinions on the matter are, as the kids are saying these days, "salty."
>
> Cheers,

I seem to have struck an interesting chord, here!

Another phenomenon about which I have doubts involves people who claim that
when they hear music in “sharp” keys (e.g. G, D, A, E) their experience is of
brightness, while the flat keys make for a more sombre sound. I’ve even heard
in a radio interview that this applies to F# and Gb (the one bright, the other
dull).

Michael (lighting blue touch-paper and retiring to a safe distance).