How to get swing feel from dotted notation?

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: How to get swing feel from dotted notation?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:48:26 -0600

I'm transcribing a piece originally written with a lot of syncopation, using half-values ties across the beat, as well as what I think must be intended as a "swing" feel, notated with dotted rhythms. No problem reproducing the visual elements, but I also need to produce practice tracks for an amateur chorale, and the output in MIDI is very jerky. I've read /ly/articulate.ly but didn't see anything understandably useful. I think I need to turn the rhythms, both syncopated and dotted, into more of a triplet effect, in order to get the smooth swing I need. I've set up two \score blocks, to separate \layout and \midi, and \included "articulate.ly", but clearly, I need further suggestions.

A typical couple of bars look like this:
*****************************
{
\time 4/4 \key e \major
  r2 r4 r8 b