Re: Multiple stanza lines under second section of music

From: Henry Law
Subject: Re: Multiple stanza lines under second section of music
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:42:59 +0100

Bah ... replied to a user rather than to list.  Schoolboy error...

I'm overwhelmed with the speed and quality of the response from the list. You may gather that I'm new-ish to Lilypond, having got here via GVOX Encore (which as far as wysiwyg score editors isn't bad for the money). I'm quite familiar with typesetting systems which use text-file input (IBM BookMaster anyone?) but Lily is so astonishingly powerful and flexible that getting to grips with it is nevertheless a challenge.

1. On 28/03/16 12:27, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I'd so it with lyrics skips:

I have introduced lyric skips, in a variable called "refrain_space" and it works fine. Thank you Phil.

Interestingly, my "weird problem" with chord symbols appearing in the middle of the staff reappeared, even with lyric skips. For the record I traced its cause via the "programming error: hyphen not finished yet" error; when I corrected "_ --" to "-- _" the chords returned to their appointed place.

2. On 28/03/16 12:53, Thomas Morley wrote:
> Though, why \version "2.16.2"?

Because that's the version that is packaged in the Ubuntu repos, which are often a bit behind, especially in the more esoteric user-oriented applications. I'll purge it and install the latest version from the independent download. (Which may indeed have improved handling of the "hyphen not finished yet" bug ...)

Thanks, Thomas, also for the pointer to the "techniques specific to lyrics".

3. On 28/03/16 13:05, Christoph Friedrich wrote:
> refrain-empty = \lyricmode {
>   }

(Blush) no it isn't. I'd used underscores, which seemed to work. Yes, I know not to do that now.

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England