Re: Multiple stanza lines under second section of music

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Multiple stanza lines under second section of music
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:53:21 +0200

> I am scoring a simple song which begins with its refrain, after which each
> stanza is sung, followed again by the refrain.  I therefore need the words
> of the refrain to appear once under the first few bars (on the line below
> the melody staff), but multiple lines of words to appear under the staff for
> the remaining bars.
>
> Thus (warning: fixed-pitch font required)
>
> Words of the refrain! Verse one.All together now .. :
>                       Verse two, and we sing ..      :
>                       Verse three, etc
>
> I tried hacking it by creating a lyrics variable consisting of nothing but
> spaces and then prepending it within the \addlyrics command for all but the
> first verse, but (a) it's kludgy, and (b) it provoked a weird error where
> the chords of the second and subsequent systems were overlayed on the staff
> lines!
>
> This must be a common thing to want to do: lots of folk songs have this
> layout. Can someone tell me the right way to do it?  (Small fragment
> attached, showing how I don't want to do it!)

Thanks for it, makes it all easier for me.
Though, why \version "2.16.2"? This version is outdated for several years.
I'd recommend to upgarde, at least current stable, i.e. 2.18.2
The current devel-version is "2.19.38", far from being unstable ...

Ontopic, how about:

\version "2.16.2"

global = {
  \time 4/4
  \key c \major
}

chordNames = \chordmode {
  \global
  \partial 4 s4 |
  c2 d:min | g2:sus4 g | c2
}

melody = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Refrain: upbeat and one bar
  \new Voice = "refrain" {
  \partial 4 a8 b8 |
  c4 d4 d8( f8) f4 \bar "||"
  }
  % Verse: full bar and partial bar matching the upbeat
  \new Voice = "verses" {
  c4 d4 e4 d4 | c4 c r4
  }
  \bar ":|"
}

verse_one = \lyricmode {
  This is verse one.
  It ends here
  }

verse_two = \lyricmode {
  This is verse two.
  The end
  }
refrain = \lyricmode {
  And the re -- frain is here
  }

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames \chordNames
    \new Staff { \melody }
    \new Lyrics = "ref" \lyricsto "refrain" \refrain
    \context Lyrics = "ref" \lyricsto "verses" \verse_one
    \new Lyrics = "v2" \lyricsto "verses" \verse_two

}

\addlyrics has improved since 2.16.2, but it would have failed in your
use-case even with newer version as well.
In general, apart from very basic use-cases, don't use \addlyrics but
\new Lyrics \lyricsto ...

HTH,
  Harm