Re: Generation of Notation Videos with Lilypond Tool Chain

From: Dr. Thomas Tensi
Subject: Re: Generation of Notation Videos with Lilypond Tool Chain
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 22:18:15 +0100

Dear Joram, dear Richard,

thanks for the hints and for your nice comments! It seems
that a lot has improved since my first attempt in 2006 with
lilypond, timidity and avisynth.

Joram wrote:
> And one particular link from the examples:
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDOZZzbfL00

This is really nice work, but to be honest, I find the
rolling variant shown in that video a bit distracting. The
advantage of having static pages is a real quiet picture
only seldomly changing when pages are turned.  This also
reduces video size significantly, because a maximum
compression can be used (almost all pictures are the same).

When you need positional information in that case, subtitles
can be optionally turned on.  In the current implementation
the time reference is "full measures", but, of course,
subdivisions (e.g. quarters) would be easy to implement.

And the data injection technique used by Mathieu is really
clever, but I am still looking for some intelligent way to
extract the tempo data without having an additional pass on
the input and without altering the input file in any way.

The postscript file is free, because it is produced anyway
when the PNG files are rendered, but it is difficult to
parse and, of course, subject to change.

For my current tool chain, the additional file with tempo
data is acceptable.  A lot more effort goes into the
audio rendering and postprocessing and most of my (pop)
pieces for stage have a really simple tempo track.

> HTH
> Richard

Yes, of course, thanks to both of you!  That gives me food
for thought on how to improve my toolchain.

          Best regards,

                  Thomas