Re: Generation of Notation Videos with Lilypond Tool Chain

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Generation of Notation Videos with Lilypond Tool Chain
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 09:56:22 +0000

On Sun, 2016-03-06 at 19:24 +0100, Dr. Thomas Tensi wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> for my practising and stage usage I developped a tiny
> toolchain based on lilypond.
>
> Starting from a lilypond file an MP4 video is produced
> playing the music (or part of) and showing the score (or
> part of) with page turning synchronous to the music. As an
> additional aid, a (soft) subtitle shows the current measure
> number for orientation.
>
> I use this on a tablet on stage for a duo to have the
> background tracks for that band synchronous with the score
> for the live instruments.  Of course, only one tablet can be
> used like that, because there is no video synchronisation
> among several tablets out of the box.
>
> The whole process is described in
>
>      http://www.tensi.eu/thomas/iPod/notation-video.html
>
> the appetizer demo video with a BWV 639 rendition can be
> found at
>
>      https://youtu.be/bqiMfUvmpug
>
> The idea originated in 2006, where I made a tool chain based
> on avisynth and on Windows.  Now the 2016 tool chain just
> uses lilypond, timidity plus soundfont, ffmpeg and python
> (for scripting); those tools should be available on almost
> any platform.
>
> A weakness of the approach is that the page turning times
> for the score are gained by parsing the Postscript output
> file of lilypond.  This approach is fragile and might break
> when the font set is changed or whenever lilypond changes
> its rendering philosophy.
>
> Another disadvantage is that tempo changes must be supplied
> in a separate text file, because they cannot easily be
> deduced from rendering data.

Mathieu Demange found a way of extracting tempo changes see
his work at
https://gitlab.com/sigmate/lilypond-html-live-score

and a video showing LilyPond score visualisation based on his work in
Denemo
https://vimeo.com/154414223

this is based on LilyPond 2.18, his latest work uses new features in the
2.19 series and a corresponding version of Denemo using that route can
be found in a branch
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/PlaybackView

HTH

Richard