Re: Chords and what they mean

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 00:08:46 +0200

Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> writes:

> Mixing responses from several posters here...
>

> FWIW, my two cents on the design questions:
>
> Modifying the input syntax such that c:5 means <c g> seems ill-advised.
>
> That would be inconsistent with the rest of the input syntax,
>  where the first number represents the complete chord up to that
>  point.

It's exactly the same as happens already with c:13 (which removes the
11), and c:5 is arguably more important.

> The problem would still remain, regardless of what input syntax you
> use to specify <c g>, Lilypond will still not print C5, out of the
> box.

Which is a separate misfeature/bug.  I don't see the point in the
separate \powerChords command to turn on recognition of C5.

> My point being, the c:5 interpretation is not the actual hurdle in the
> task of printing C5 as a chord symbol.

Red herring.

> Such a change would only negatively affect anyone who used c:sus to
> indicate a power chord.

He now has the more aptly named c:5 available.

--
David Kastrup