Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:59:05 +1000

On 20/09/15 11:30 AM, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:

> Just to be clear, in Hancock's piece and other jazz standards, D7sus is
> not simply a 7th chord with the third omitted. As Mark Levine explained
> in the "The Jazz Piano Book" (Sher Music Co. 1989), for D7sus (or simply
> "Dsus" as it appears in some arrangements) Herbie played a C major triad
> (with the G doubled) over the root and fifth on the left hand. The
> effect of this was that the right hand was playing the 7th, 9th and 11th
> (or if you prefer, 7th, 2nd and 4th). Hence Levine's description of a
> sus chord: the " major triad in the right hand [is] a whole step down
> from the root".

> Brett

Yes, but it is worth pointing out that that is a "voicing" of D7sus.
It is not the "definition" of D7sus.
Well, in his explanation of sus chords, Levine indicates that that he does not interpret "sus" to be exactly synonymous with "sus4". At one point, he wrote "A persistent myth about sus chords is that 'the fouth takes the place of the third.' Jazz pianists, however, often voice the third with a sus chord" (The Jazz Piano Book, p.24).

My point was that it would be incorrect in a jazz context to rigidly interpret D7sus as simply a D7 chord with the third omitted or with the 4th in place of the third.
For comparison, I'd enjoy hearing how Mr. Levine suggests to voice a C major chord.
(If I recall correctly, it doesn't have C or G in it.)
The short answer is, he doesn't. But if we are discussing definitions rather than voicings, is this relevant?