Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:06:37 +1000

On 19/09/15 8:49 AM, Kaj Persson wrote:
As you wrote Csus ought to mean that the first third is removed, and nothing else. Among professional musicians, which I am not, but I have friends who are, this is not the whole truth, there exists a de facto standard which does not exactly coincide with the pure logical.
Not exactly - there are several conventions used by musicians, with a wide range of similarities and differences, but there is no one standard, de facto or otherwise.

Csus is one example, C5 another. So when I work with these people i will use their methods and system, not trying to introduce something else (more "clever"). Therefore it would be fine if one could adapt LP to the current situation.
Well, in this instance that might seem reasonable, where we are only talking about simple chords, but where the chords are more complex or follow some other convention, adapting LP might prove a lot more difficult. For example, a lot of jazz charts follow a widely used convention where minor chords are denoted with a minus sign and augmented chords are denoted with a plus sign, i.e. F-7, G+. But LP uses these symbols in \chordmode for alterations.

But this all just points to the fact that there is a distinction between how chords are entered and how they are displayed. And given that the same chord can be displayed several different ways, that distinction cannot really be avoided. For my own purposes, the default chord names generated by LP are far from ideal, so like many I have a separate file of chord exceptions that I include when I need it. So long as the input method allows me to create the chords I need in a reasonably way and I can get the output to appear as I need it to, there is no need to make the input take the same form as the output.

Brett