Re: Font search path (Linux)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Font search path (Linux)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:36:33 +0200

Am 28.07.2015 um 15:06 schrieb Ralf Mattes:

> Am Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015 13:58 CEST, Wols Lists <address@hidden> schrieb:
>

>> Don't know whether it would work for lily, but on my system (gentoo
>> linux) I just copied all my Windows fonts into a "Windows" directory I
>> created under /usr/share/fonts.
> No, this is ba advice: anything under /usr/  is owned and managed by the
> system/vendor
> (on linux most likely by the system's package manager). The system is free to
> (and often will)
> remove/overwrite these files.
> User/Admin installs should be put into the /usr/local/ subtree.
> So, to install custom fonts for all users of the system, copy them into
> /usr/local/share/fonts.
> On systems using fontconfig (pretty much all distros by now) you can also
> place the fonts
> in the ~/.fonts directory.
> To see a list of all fonts available to fontconfig run:
>  fc-list
> This will also show the path where a font was found (sometimes usefull when a
> font
> is installed in more than one version).
>
>> One reboot later, all those windows fonts were available to my linux
>> programs.
> You never need to reboot linux to update the font information!
> If the newly installed font really doesn't show up with fc-list (it should)
> you
> can run 'fc-cache -f -v'
>
> Cheers. Ralf Mattes

Apart from Ralf's comments LilyPond doesn't (yet) find fonts in the
system's font directories but only in its own font directory. So for now
one can only install additional fonts within the Lily installation.
To alleviate the problems you can use the mentioned script that a) only
places links in the folders and b) can easily reapply the "installation
process".