Re: Font search path (Linux)

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: Font search path (Linux)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:06:28 +0200

Am Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015 13:58 CEST, Wols Lists <address@hidden> schrieb:

> Don't know whether it would work for lily, but on my system (gentoo
> linux) I just copied all my Windows fonts into a "Windows" directory I
> created under /usr/share/fonts.

No, this is ba advice: anything under /usr/  is owned and managed by the
system/vendor
(on linux most likely by the system's package manager). The system is free to
(and often will)
remove/overwrite these files.
User/Admin installs should be put into the /usr/local/ subtree.
So, to install custom fonts for all users of the system, copy them into
/usr/local/share/fonts.
On systems using fontconfig (pretty much all distros by now) you can also place
the fonts
in the ~/.fonts directory.
To see a list of all fonts available to fontconfig run:
 fc-list
This will also show the path where a font was found (sometimes usefull when a
font
is installed in more than one version).

> One reboot later, all those windows fonts were available to my linux
> programs.

You never need to reboot linux to update the font information!
If the newly installed font really doesn't show up with fc-list (it should) you
can run 'fc-cache -f -v'

Cheers. Ralf Mattes