Re: sharping naturals

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: sharping naturals
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:40:59 +0200

Am 23. Juli 2015 19:29:38 MESZ, schrieb Malte Meyn <address@hidden>:

>Am 23.07.2015 um 19:15 schrieb Christopher R. Maden:
>> They will look different, but will be the same notes.  The music
>> describes itself; the key signature affects presentation.[*]
>>
>That’s true and I think that this is one of LilyPonds strengths as it
>allows to be very flexible with transposing, quoting, changing key
>signatures etc.

I think so too.
However, there *are* programs/formats that "think" differently. I know of
Amadeus an midt notably MEI where you basically write diwn what you *see*. If
not explicitly altered the actual pitch is determined by the key signature.

>By the way, how would one write a g natural in b major, if ‘g’ lead to
>g sharp? ‘ges’? But if so, how to write a ges?

No, a g natural would be encided as a g natural, however the syntax is. E.g. gn.

Users of these systems are very convinced of it - as are we ...

Ur