Cross-Staff Kneed Beams; Nested Voices

From: Sam Bivens
Subject: Cross-Staff Kneed Beams; Nested Voices
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 16:26:44 -0400

Hi guys,

Two questions that I just can't figure out for some reason:

First, I can't manage to create kneed beams for the right hand cross-staff eighth notes in the below example. I've attempted to invoke \override Beam.auto-knee-gap, but to no avail (so it's not included here). Here's the code, and I've attached an image:

\version "2.18.2"

\language "english"

global = {

\key e \major

\time 3/4

}

up = \relative c' {

\global

<<

{

bs4 cs a |

}

\\

{

gs8 \change Staff = "down" ds \change Staff = "up" a'

\change Staff = "down" ds, \change Staff = "up"fs

\change Staff = "down" ds |

down = \relative c, {

\global

\clef bass

<<

{

c4\rest b4. s8 |

}

\\

{

s4 b8. cs'16 b8 s |

\score {

\new PianoStaff <<

\set PianoStaff.instrumentName = #""

\new Staff = "up" \up

\new Staff = "down" \down

}

Second, is it possible to create nested multiple voices? What I mean is to insert multiple voices within a single voice of a larger multi-voice context. I need to create a third voice for one measure of a piece and I'm wondering how to do this without creating a third voice full of "s" for the entire work.

I hope my questions aren't too elementary--I'm relatively new to this!

Thanks,

--Sam