Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 20:28:32 -0400

Hi Wol,

> It seems to me that there is too much "addressing one issue", when my big
> problem is conflicting solutions! In other words, the solution to one problem
> promptly screws up the solution to another!

You need to apply the solution correctly to all grobs that are affected, i.e.,
both RehearsalMark and TextScript (and maybe MetronomeMark, if you ever use
it). You can’t honestly expect that we, having taught you that 2+2=4 and 2+3=5,
also must work out 3+2 for you. Lilypond “programming” (such as it is) requires
that you take examples of fixes and tools, and apply them beyond the explicit
example that was first illustrated.

> Take the "Allegretto con Moto" "Take 2nd on D.S." issue. In the original pdf,
> they were \markup's stacked above each other.

"Allegretto con Moto" should be a MetronomeMark.
"Take 2nd on D.S.” should be a RehearsalMark.
Each grob was created for a reason — please use them correctly.

> I have now tried converting "Take 2nd on D.S." into a \mark

Good.

> but it breaks Kieren's fix for the stacking! :-(

Then apply to RehearsalMark the tweak I gave you for TextScript. Does that not
fix the problem?

> it really cannot handle colliding markups very well (sorry Kieren!)

Please don’t blame the tool. In the last 10,000-frame score (50 staves x 200
measures) I compiled, which contained thousands of markups, the number of
tweaks I had to make to RehearsalMarks, MetronomeMarks, and TextScripts put
together was incredibly low (somewhere around 20).

I’m not discounting your frustration — I’m sure it’s real and constant. But
Lilypond is not the main problem here.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer