Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 01:35:15 +0200

> Hi, as mentioned by others your example is not very useful. Actually it
> puzzles me, I have _no_ idea about the intended output. Nevertheless, you
> happily mix different things all the time: TextScript and RehearsalMark.
> They have different usecases and different default settings. Anyway you
> could play with \textLengthOn \textLengthOff \markLengthOn \markLengthOff
> \once \override Score.VoltaBracket.shorten-pair = #'(1 . 1.4) adjust the
> values to fit your needs. All are mentioned in the NR. Some explained with
> example(s). 'shorten-pair only with it's description (If you wanna know why
> the first value is 1, you'd need to dive in deep, very deep in the source
> code for bar-lines and how they play together with VoltaBrackets. Are you
> sure you really want?) HTH a bit, Harm P.S. \version "2.10.0" ???? That
> would be prehistoric
> Thanks - I'll play with that.
>
> As for the intended output, basically I don't want the two text strings
> stacking above each other. It's as simple as that. There's 7 bars rest.
> Musically, "Allegretto con Molto" belongs above the first bar, "Take 2nd on
> D.S." belongs above the 7th. Because the trombone doesn't play, lily has put
> the two texts above each other, instead of one after the other horizontally
> :-(

??
Your own sent pdf shows they are not stacked vertically.
(second line, measures 9 ff)

> And the coda sign - again, I don't want it stacked vertically above the
> repeat bracket - I need to shorten the bracket so it can drop down to sit
> horizontal with the bracket, over the bar line.
>
> That's the problem with both pain-points - vertical stacking is the wrong
> thing to do.
>
> Oh - and how do I get Score.VoltaBracket.shorten-pair to affect only the
> *second* bracket? Do I stick it between the two alternatives? I know when I
> tried something like that last time, it wouldn't even compile ...

\alternative {
  { R2*2 }
  { \once \override Score.VoltaBracket.shorten-pair = #'(1 . 1.4) R2*2 }
}

in voiceTramboneII.ily

> ( 2.10.0? I haven't updated the version string. My Windows laptop has 2.18,
> my gentoo desktop has 2.15 (the latest "stable" there, I think))
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Btw, partTromboneI-T.ly doesn't compile because of missing voiceTromboneI.ily

And please, this is _not_ a tiny example!
You would significantly increase your chance to get help from the list
if you'd try to reduce it to tiny examples only showing _one_ problem.
We don't do proof-reading of more or less finished scores here.
Speaking only for me, I look into such large files 1-2 times a year,
that one wass the first. ;)

At least add barnumbers as comments in your file.

Cheers,
  Harm