Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:04:41 +0200

Hi,

a bit late, but my memories from when starting with LilyPond:

>  1. What is the thing you (especially new users) like the least about
>     LilyPond's documentation structure?

- documentation
The sheer amount of pages to read was daunting. But I wanted to
understand it (not being a programmer at that time and not knowing TeX)
and so I read through the whole Learning Manual. That made things pretty
clear.

- tutorials
What I missed back then was an even slower introduction and more
examples instead of lengthy texts explaining the principles (->
tutorial). I started such tutorials as website ore pdf presentation but
never finished them (I still plan to do so).

- overview
I always like visual overviews. But this was discussed on this list too
often and interferes with text input, maintaining and reading
accessibility goals of the official docs.

After many years, today, I mostly use a search engine which mostly
points me to the notation reference which provides a good documentation.

Cheers,
Joram