Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:53:42 -0400

Hi Gilles,

> Yet you long for <some_tool> that would know how to remove a set of
> bars from "That Production" project. :-P
> A tool could do that *if* it knew what structure to expect.

I don’t believe that’s necessary… but we can leave that aside for now, since
the technical investigation required to determine whether my intuition is
correct isn’t worth it at this stage of the discussion.

> By default, standardization is a Good Thing.

I agree 100%. (But, as an aside, many people wouldn’t!)

> It should not be the case that simple scores have a structure that
> becomes hugely inadequate when more contents is added.

So, to output a simple 16-bar lead sheet, a user should always [be forced to]
create 3 files (voice.ily, chords.ily, score.ly)? Or maybe four (lyrics.ily)?
Or more?
Because a “one-per-instrument” file structure — or something equally segmented
in some other way — is likely necessary (or at least desirable enough to be
chosen as the standard) for a huge project like an opera.

Best regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info