Re: best practices for volta (was Re: Problem with repeat alternative en

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: best practices for volta (was Re: Problem with repeat alternative endings that contain lyrics andleading rests)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 22:53:26 +0100

Kieren MacMillan wrote Monday, April 20, 2015 5:05 PM

> On Apr 19, 2015, at 6:11 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> [snip incomplete example]
>
> Is it really a best practice to put \repeat volta structures in multiple
> locations? I just responded to a post a few days ago where (I believe, though
> the OP hasn’t followed it through to terminus) the primary source of the
> compilation troubles was asynchronous voltas.

Sure you did, but the point of the example the OP submitted from the NR was to
show how to allow lyrics to be unfolded along with the music.  Granted this was
not obvious from my post, unless you knew where the example came from.

> 1. Shouldn’t we be [heavily] promoting, even in tiny snippets, the use of
> global variables to hold \repeat structures that are used in multiple places?

No, not in this particular case - it doesn't work.

> 2. And in this particular example, why use \repeat at all in the lyrics?
> Doesn’t the following (with the unnecessary braces left in for structural
> clarity) work equally well?
>
>   \new Lyrics {
>     \lyricsto "melody" {
>       Not re -- peat -- ed.
>       Re -- peat { { "" twice. } { "" twice. } }
>     }
>   }

Not when unfolded.

Trevor