Re: centering different time signatures

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: centering different time signatures
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:02:10 -0500

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Simon,

> I couldn’t carry it out, but what about the following approach: Create a music function to add \times before /every/ bar, add that function to toplevel-music-functions, \omit them except for the first, and use \once\override TimeSignature.stencil = #ly:time-signature::print for the bar concerned? Just an idea.

That might work…

But doesn’t it seem to you (as it does to me) that this is an awful lot of work to simply force visibility of a grob? I would rather have a new property added to grob-interface, say #’force-visibility (unset or ##f by defaul), which if ##t would override all other commands and properties (e.g., a previous \hide or #’break-visibility setting or #’stencil hack) and simply force the grob to appear. A shortcut could be \show or \force, which would be \override Grob.force-visibility = ##t.

But forcing the grob to appear presupposes that there is a TimeSignature grob, and these are created in response to \time.  What you are suggesting would mean that each measure needs its own time signature object, which is not the case.

--David