Re:Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re:Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 12:29:13 +0100

Am 23. Dezember 2014 12:07:52 MEZ, schrieb Peter Gentry <address@hidden>:
>There are two strands in this.
>
>1. Questions related to the use of LilyPond.
>
>2. Questions related to the use of Scheme etc coding for tweaking
>LilyPond.
>
>The first is best served by the lilypond-user community.
>
>The second is dealt with to some extent in the "Scores of Beauty" but
>only goes so far.

I'd even say there are only tiny appetizers on our blog.

> Information in the strange world of Scheme
>is rather patchy and usually assumes a high level of familiarity with
>the terms used. The list concept for instance and control of
>memory not to mention smobs. In these areas on line forums such as
>Stackoverflow provide a useful resource.
>
>It is arguable that (for example) the LilyPond interfaces ly:etc could
>be better explained.

I also think that there should be much more information available,especially
introductory gently-paced tutorials. I see three steps here,and as they are not
fulky explained in a coherent manner it's extremely difficult to get somewhere:

- Scheme in itself is difficult to grasp
- it's even more complicated as there are so many dialects around. Solutions
found on the net don't necessarily apply to Guile/LilyPond
- Hiw Scheme gets Information out of LilyPond  (the ly: aspect) is another big
step.

What would be needed IMO was a "book" like the Learning Manual that covers all
if this. But of course: who should write this???
One *possible* approach could be to conceive tutorials as chapters of such a
book. So people coukd contribute a comparably small section without having to
tackle a complete book.
But that would require that a number of those who are able (and I don't count
ne in here) commit themselves at least somewhat.

>I am well aware that skilled programmers, clear thinking logicians and
>pedantic musicologists have little patience with blunderings
>of mere mortals - although a few show remarkable forebearance.
>
>If Lily use is to prosper and expand surely detailed information on the
>structure and philosophy of the code would benefit all.

+1

Urs