Re: partcombine/divisi framework - let the fun begin!

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: partcombine/divisi framework - let the fun begin!
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 20:38:06 +0000 (UTC)

Simon Albrecht <simon.albrecht <at> mail.de> writes:

> Am 29.08.2014 um 08:53 schrieb Keith OHara:
>
> > You should do something similar for the \together segments.
> > As you have it now, the together segments are un-tagged, so are
> > included in all three staves (two of which are not printed).

Oops. We need the 'together' segments to be included in all three staves,
so it is printed (twice) if the music is set on a wide page where
'together' segments are on the same line as separate-staff divisi.

> > But if someone uses these definitions with music that uses tags for
> > some other purpose, the tagged music will be left out.
>
> A problem which always comes up when trying to use tags in more than one
> "layer". A workaround is the use of \removeWithTag in place of
> \keepWithTag, e.g. replace
>    \keepWithTag together
> by
>    \removeWithTag divI.divII

Yes. That method will at least preserve music that the user has tagged
for some other purpose, and it co-exists with \removeWithTag for other
purposes.

The way \keepWithTag keeps completely untagged music is convenient, but
quickly causes trouble if we use tags for other purposes.  I see there
is an enhancement request already
<https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4083>