Re: See the new music fonts in action

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: See the new music fonts in action
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:58:30 +0200

On 28 Jul 2014, at 20:47, Abraham Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

>> BTW, is there some effort adding more microtonal symbols? LilyPond can now
>> properly handle microtonal key signatures, it seems.

> Good question. If you are glyphs you are referring to are found the default
> font set,
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/the-feta-font#accidental-glyphs
>
> then this is already supported in the new fonts :) I made sure that the
> entire glyph set is supported, even if they have to fall back to the
> Emmentaler ones in some places because I couldn't (or didn't feel like I
> needed to) come up with one that matched the other glyphs (like the
> shape-noteheads).
>
> I, personally, don't use the microtonal glyphs, but I'm happy to continue to
> support them as long as someone uses them! I don't plan on creating other
> fonts specific to microtonal notation (e.g., Sagittal, etc.).

The current set is too limited, and I think it has to be some new font that
comes with the distribution for it to work properly. For example, the Persian
microtonal accidentals koron and sori are not supported, even though there is a
file for typesetting Persian music. So one reason to not use microtonal symbols
is that there is no support for it, but actually some do anyhow without being
able to get the right rendering.