Re: Optical spacing -- no more?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Optical spacing -- no more?
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 19:29:52 +0200

Hi,

> So I guess the default spacing is now a bit thighter compared to
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/essay/engraving-details#optical-spacing

Nope - the difference is because you're comparing different examples.
Example in Essay has both quarters and eights, and this is what makes
the spacing wider there ("common shortest duration" becomes an eight
instead of quarter). See for yourself:

relative c'' { e4 c, f' d, g' e, a' f, }
{ c'4 e''4 e'4 b'4 }

% versus
{
   c'4 e''4 e'4 b'4 |
   \stemDown
   b'8[ e'' a' e'']
   \stemNeutral
   e'8[ e'8 e'8 e'8]
}

So, I don't think there were any significant changes to spacing in this regard.

best,
Janek