Re: emacs point-and-click on OSX

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: emacs point-and-click on OSX
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 00:29:06 +1100

These links might help... it’s all about setting the correct custom URL handler.

Unhiding your Library folder (thanks Apple, heaven forbid we try to do anything interesting):
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/unhide-library-folder-in-mac-os-x-10-7-lion.428277/

Configuring your textedit URL handler:
http://superuser.com/questions/548119/how-do-i-configure-custom-url-handlers-on-os-x

Opening emacs at a specific line/column:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3139970/open-a-file-at-line-with-filenameline-syntax

I may be wrong, but what I would do is set the handler to be an application (Applescript maybe) that takes the URL ( eg textedit:///Users/vaughan/myfile.ly:164:10:10 ), parses the filename, line number & position and converts it to a bash script like:

emacs -c +164:10 /Users/vaughan/myfile.ly

This might be a bit roundabout. Maybe emacs can handle textedit:/// URLs directly?

Vaughan