Re: survey on multiple development versions

From: Curt
Subject: Re: survey on multiple development versions
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:06:25 -0800

I wonder if this is coming across more confusing than it has to be.  You're
talking about branching a "feature branch" from the mainline (probably the
development branch: 2.17.24, 2.17.25, etc)  and merging from it (as the
mainline changes), while the feature branch is improved, until the feature
branch is stable enough to merge it back into the mainline.

If the feature branch isn't yet stable enough to make a big release like 2.18,
then no problem, keep it separate and continue to merge from the mainline until
it's ready, and then merge it back to the mainline.

If new changes are made to the mainline that are inherently incompatible with
the feature branch, then switch approaches by considering the feature branch as
a temporary fork.  Instead of merging from the mainline, instead merge from the
various smaller feature branches that are also merged into the mainline, that
aren't incompatible with the feature branch.  In other words, if someone wants
to make a change to the mainline, they do it in their own branch - and then
when it comes time to contribute it back to the mainline, the fork branch
accepts it as well.  If there isn't a way to set up this process easily, you
could probably do this alternatively by doing selective merges from the
mainline into the feature branch.

From the perspective of the mainline, it doesn't care because it's not being
negatively affected, and it doesn't limit its release schedule.  It doesn't
care what is being pulled from it, it only cares what is being pushed to it.
From the perspective of the fork branch, it has the time to get stable before
it gets re-integrated back into the mainline.

From the perspective of the user, it isn't as complicated as them having A B
and C all seeming equally valid and confusing.  There's the release (2.18,
2.19, etc), the development line, and if they want one of these experimental
branches they have to use one of the forked releases - I would expect that
these types of users would be pretty savvy about keeping track of the
differences, and perhaps able to build binaries themselves.

Curt