Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:14:57 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <address@hidden>
To: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
Cc: "LilyPond Users" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 3:58 PM

On 07/12/13 16:49, Janek Warchoł wrote:
you're probably right.  as i said, i don't know this stuff.

Well, in this case I think it's not about what you know -- it's about what you think is best to do. If it turns out that the easiest way to organize things is to have one install bundle for all platforms, fine, but as things are you already have differences in how things are set up in the Windows vs. Linux installers.

The thing to focus on probably just needs to be, what's the best way to serve a new user of Lilypond on this platform? And in that case, providing Frescobaldi as part of the default install on Windows makes sense (but as I said, with the option to deselect it there for users who have other preferences).

I've already said I oppose this, and I'll restate this. I have nothing against those who want to use Frescobaldi, and I'm sure it's a great app. I, however don't use it since I work in a completely different way. I would expect there to be a lot of other people in a similar position. I don't want to remember to deselect an option I'll never use every time I install LilyPond (Windows users - do you enjoy deselecting the "Ask toolbar" for every Java update?). And, more importantly, I tend to keep relatively up to date with LilyPond versions - I've got over 70 installed. Under no circumstances do I want to download Frescobaldi every time I download LilyPond.

Links and recommendations - fine, great, wonderful. Bundled install? No way - that's when I'd stop being release manager and when I'd freeze at the current LilyPond install.

--
Phil Holmes