Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 19:03:44 +0100

"R.D. Latimer" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm a retired school teacher, I know some C++, I'd be happy to help
> out with dev if I can, though I may not know enough, but would be
> willing to try. I know some c++ and lisp/scheme and music theory. I
> have a Windows 7 laptop, Netbeans for C++ dev.  Let me know if there
> may be ways to help out with the development end. - thanks

Well, we have a Ubuntu VM setup called Lilydev that is used for
development on Windows: there are so many dependencies to other free
software easily available and installed on typical GNU/Linux systems
that the developers have at some point of time given up on native
Windows development.

Not sure whether you'll be able to use the Netbeans with that.

Try checking out the "Contributor's Guide"
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/index.html>
and see whether this gives you a somewhat better idea what you are
dealing with here.

What we need badly is actually code reviewers: there are a lot of "lone
wolf" developers around who create and commit changes without a lot of
review going on between them.  Having a person pitch in and state what
kind of new code needs commenting/explaining for the average programmer
to be able to maintain/follow it is likely helpful.

You have to be aware, however, that the current commenting style in the
code will make you feel like a veterinarian doing an internship in a
Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, trying to set the bones in broken
chicken wings.

--
David Kastrup