Re: frescobaldi on mac

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: frescobaldi on mac
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 21:52:46 +0200

May I contribute to this thread some comments as well as a question?

Well then: I use a Mac at home, and I have been using LilyPond on the Mac without any problem (mac-specific ones, I mean) since v2.14. I don't know if I misunderstood David K.'s comment ("we have pretty few vocal Mac users here") but I think in most of the discussions it's rather unimportant which system one uses (except in cases where technical or installer-related problems are discussed - a clear minority). that could be interpreted as "lilypond runs just fine on macs" - and that would indeed match my experience.

another issue is frescobaldi. it runs on a Mac but is hard to install. over the last two year I tried several times to install it. the reason it didn't work was always something to do with the python installation or poppler or some file that was missing in the end. I'm a programmer myself, but I could not solve those problems for a simple reason: I knew that, to solve them, I would need to dig deep into the system. It'd take weeks to understand what's going on. That I'm a programmer doesn't imply that I want to do that, or indeed (as Tim pointed out) actually have the time to do this, and that's precisely the reason I use a non-free (or, to cite a rather nasty discussion from some months back, "freedom-denying") OS. I just don't want to bother with the system, I just would like a tool that works in general. I don't have to know the details of beer-brewing either to enjoy a bottle once in a while ...

don't misunderstand me: I'm not saying Frescobaldi is deficient in any way. It just doesn't target Macs, that's all. If I'd take the time to write such a program, I probably would not go to the trouble of writing a Windows installer as well.

Luckily, there are people like Philippe Massart who figure out how to get frescobaldi running on a Mac and don't keep it to themselves. Thank you! With his help I'm now almost there to use frescobaldi, too, which I'm really looking forward to! (Up to now, I use Eclipse/Elysium which works fine but is rather slow.)

That brings me to my question: I've worked through Phillippe's "recipe" faithfully (I think). Now, when I try to launch frescobaldi on the Terminal, I get an error message

ImportError: No module named sip

Does anyone know what's the problem there?

Best,
Robert