Re: SMuFL

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: SMuFL
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 07:50:53 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think "so poorly documented that in practice almost no one can
>> understand how it works" still can't qualify as "in effect
>> proprietary".
>
> It is not *that* badly documented.  However, the number of people who
> understand Metafont are rather small today.

git shortlog -sn mf/
   459  Han-Wen Nienhuys
   160  Jan Nieuwenhuizen
   104  Werner Lemberg
    20  Jürgen Reuter
    16  Carl D. Sorensen
    15  Janek Warchoł
    11  Mats Bengtsson
     7  Bertrand Bordage
     7  Maximilian Albert
     4  David Kastrup
     4  Graham Percival
     4  John Mandereau
     4  Phil Holmes
     4  Tom Cato Amundsen
     3  Erlend Aasland
     3  Marc Hohl
     3  Patrick McCarty
     3  Reinhold Kainhofer
     3  Rune Zedeler
     2  Aleksandr Andreev
     2  Neil Puttock
     1  Benkő Pál
     1  Carsten Steger
     1  Glen Prideaux
     1  Julien Rioux
     1  Mark Polesky
     1  Michael Welsh Duggan
     1  Nicolas Sceaux

Some of those will have worked on the build system rather than the fonts
themselves, but I doubt that all of those working on the fonts had
previous exposure to Metafont/Metapost.

--
David Kastrup