Re: SMuFL

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: SMuFL
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 18:09:37 +1000

Thanks Werner for pointing this out.

It would help if I read the SMuFL standard before commenting. :-) So I think my previous comments are invalid. Now that I have read the standard v 0.6, I see that it works hand in hand with Unicode, and is not in opposition to, or outside of Unicode. Given that SMuFL defines the Unicode code points for a much larger set of glyphs for music - and can be almost limitlessly expanded - than the current Unicode musical symbol set, and that Unicode is a very widely respected standard, would it not be the to go to have lilypond use the SMuFL standard for its fonts, and not to make a mapping between SMuFL and the current Emmentaler layout? Would this be a major or difficult internal change in the codebase? This is of great interest to me because several of the people I do scores for (contemporary composers) do not favour the very heavy black Germanic look of the standard lilypond font, attractive though it may be. It would be nice to have a wider choice to offer in the future, and if SMuFL takes off as a standard, there may well be many fonts to choose from.

Andrew