Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Steinberg's progress report on new notation software
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:32:07 -0500

On Aug 8, 2013, at 5:06 AM, Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not that surprised.
> During the last few years I became something nerd-like. After beeing a
> Mac-User for a long time, I now only use Ubuntu or Debian and all its related
> tools for my everyday work.
> So for me using lilypond is a quite natural thing and I am getting better and
> quicker using emacs - well, frescobaldi is still my lilyeditor.
> But most people I talk to say something like: "I want switch on my computer
> and immediatly work with my everyday tools without needing to touch the
> keyboard! Beyond the mouse there is a touch-screen ..."
> To see, that one is giving away a lot of control over his own work that way,
> is not a matter of course.

Difference in end-user philosophy.

Most computer users do not see themselves giving away that control because they
didn't need it or want it in the first place.  Linux distributions like Ubuntu,
Debian, etc., are simply inappropriate tools for probably 98% of computer
users- which is exactly why the market share of those OSes is what it is.  Most
users need a hammer and a screwdriver- Linux is a whole machine shop.  For the
people who need the machine shop, Linux is the thing they want.  Most people
want to use their computer like they use a refrigerator or a toaster:  just use
it, no reading of documentation necessary.

I write 40 pages of reports a day for work.  I don't use LaTeX because it's too
complicated to use; I use LibreOffice because the default operation for text is
fine.  If I was writing out complex math equations, it'd be a different story.

Similarly LilyPond is probably not the most appropriate tool for most people
just looking to print out some chord charts for their coffee house open mic
night.  I don't think that it's presented as the tool for those folks- LilyPond
is aimed at the people who want that fine-grained control over output (although
for people like me, writing lead sheets for jazz combos, the default ways of
doing things works well for almost everything and only a few tweaks are
necessary.  A few minutes and I've got charts for everyone that are vastly more
readable than Real Book charts).  I find it faster than MuseScore, which I also
tried, and the output is vastly better than Finale.

I don't really know who Steinberg's target market is, although it looks like it
is more towards the LilyPond end of things.