Re: Henle piano template

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Henle piano template
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 22:55:45 -0400

Hi David,

> I just printed it and compared them side-by-side at the piano.

Thank you so much for the effort here — extremely helpful!!!

> - The whole notation font needs to be replaced with a
>  Henle-look-alike. At the very least, LP's notehead size is much too
>  small for Henle; but everything else (quarter rests, fermatas, sharps
>  & flats, and clefs stand out in this example) looks "very LilyPond" as well.

These are all fine for "Lilypond House Style", but would need to be fixed for
"Henle House Style".

> - The staff lines, ledger lines, and note stems need to be lightened a lot.
>
> - The beams may need to be darkened. (Or maybe they already match, after
>  lightening the staff lines and stems.)
>
> - Slurs need to be thinner at the ends and thicker in the middle.
>
> - The accidentals need to be significantly closer to their
>  noteheads. (I'm on version 2.17.22 - did something change? I'm getting
>  excessive white-space between each accidental and its note, in this
>  template.)
>
> - Staccato dots in this Henle Beethoven score are horizontally aligned
>  with the notehead, even when printed on the stem side of the note.
>
> - Two or three of the items above may affect the horizontal spacing,
>  which might then have to be tweaked again.

"Lilypond House Style" may benefit from some of this tweaking; it definitely
needs to be fixed for "Henle House Style".

> - If one is really in a mood to "go crazy", is there a freely-available
>  text font that looks like Bodoni?

I've been looking, but it's very hard to determine the licensing for certain
fonts.

> (Hmm... a bit of a theme there - just about everything in the Henle
> score has higher contrast between thick and thin than is shown in the
> LilyPond score.)

That is interesting. It will be similarly telling to compare the current output
to Barenreiter, Peters, and a few others of the "Big Boys".

> I guess part of the question is how far it's worth going in pursuit of
> this. It seems to me that the really hard parts can unfortunately be the
> parts that count, when talking about appearance.

Yes — that's why I intend to spend most of my time on getting a really
beautiful "Lilypond House Style", and not getting too crazy about exactly
duplicating the Big Boys.

Thanks,
Kieren.