Re: Nesting \absolute in 2.16 (or alternative) for predefined bass line

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Nesting \absolute in 2.16 (or alternative) for predefined bass line
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 01:30:58 +0000 (UTC)

Kale Good <kale <at> kalegood.com> writes:

>     I've got a bass line that I'm reusing with different arpeggios, but
>     when placed with certain arpeggios, it seems to be deriving its
>     pitch from the previous note (which happens to be in the other
>     voice, which is throwing everything off).

You have a  \relative c'' {...}  around both voices so the program is
interpreting your pitches relative to the previous one in the input,
regardless of which voice it is in.

I suggest using a separate \relative c'' {...} around short segments
where it is natural to think of the pitches relative to the previous pitch.
For exercises, maybe you don't want to use \relative at all.

For the baseline I'm pretty sure you would prefer to use absolute pitches,
and if you move the transpose to the definition of "basslineOne"
 basslineOne = \transpose c c' { c4 e g c | b, d g b, }
then LilyPond doesn't interpret pitches as relative.